Access For All
ACCESS FOR ALL
- The main visitor car park and some of the paths around the grounds are laid to gravel.
- We ask that pushchairs are left at the front door to the castle and are not permitted inside. If you have a baby carrier on your back or a rucksack they should be removed and carried in front of you.
- On normal open days, blue badge holders can park next to the front door of the castle in the courtyard in line with our access for all policy – please note that the courtyard is gravel. There are 14 steps from this level into the main ground floor state rooms. We have an automatic wheelchair stair climber to carry visitors up these steps; to use this visitors must be able to transfer into our wheelchair which is connected to the stair climber. From there, access for all the main rooms on this floor is very easy.
- Access to the first floor bedrooms is via a Vertical Platform Lift. We also offer an excellent DVD tour about the history of the castle on a TV in the downstairs hallway. Please note we are unable to operate our lift on Bank Holidays so wheelchair users may not be able to visit our upstairs rooms on these days. This procedure has been adopted following advice from the Herefordshire Fire Safety Officer who assessed the emergency evacuation of the first floor as a significant risk on busy open days.
- The grounds are quite hilly, and although access to the Terraces overlooking the lake is possible, it is not possible to access the arboretum and lakeside which involve steep inclines.
- The shop is located in the visitor centre and is accessed via a gravel path from the grounds. Alternatively, wheelchair users can take their car from the main castle courtyard and park close to the shop.
- Our tearoom has pushchair and wheelchair access via a path sign posted off the back drive. Alternatively we have undercover seating in the little courtyard outside, and our staff will be happy to take your food/drink order from there.
Please note that on some bank holiday event days we cannot offer parking in the courtyard next to the main front doors of the castle. On these occasions we offer parking in the normal visitor car park, close to the visitor entrance facility, and about 200 metres from the castle itself. Please telephone us in advance of your visit to check these details.
Please note we are unable to operate our lift on bank holidays so wheelchair users may not be able to visit our upstairs rooms on these days.