Working for Eastnor Castle
We are currently looking to fill the following position:
EVENTS ASSISTANT – Eastnor Castle Enterprises
Date of posting: 13.03.18
Reporting to: Head of Operations
Place of Work: Eastnor Castle and Deer Park, and elsewhere on the Estate as necessary
Hours of Work: This is a full time role averaging 45 hours per week. Hours of flexible depending on the events taking place. Role to include working most weekends, frequent evening and late nights and some Bank Holidays.
Eastnor Castle Estate
Eastnor Castle Estate is owned and operated by the Hervey-Bathurst family. Eastnor Castle sits at the centre of the estate and is let commercially for various types of functions and is also open to visitors 50 days of the year.
Overall Job Purpose
The Event Assistant (EA) is often the main point of contact for guests staying at Eastnor Castle.
The EA needs to be a courteous and professional host for all guests staying at the castle. He/she must have the ability to make our guests feel at ease during their stay and ensure their expectations are met or exceeded. Personality is key in this role, combined with the experience to guide and instruct staff and suppliers to ensure all events run to plan and any requests or issues are dealt with swiftly and effectively. The EA must be confident in dealing with a range of guests from brides to international heads of business.
The EA must be able to work well under pressure, especially during long shifts and successive events. Attention to detail and a genuine passion to give the best customer service are essential for this role. Experience of the hospitality industry and fine dining is an advantage.
The EA will work with the Head of Operations and other staff to ensure the smooth running of all events at Eastnor to include the Castle, the Deer Park and Visitor Open Days.
- Supervise and run all aspects of functions within the castle and other locations on the estate and visitor open days as required
- Comply with statutory and company requirements for Health and Safety, Food Safety, Risk Assessment, Licensing Laws, Disability etc. and ensure all employment legislation is strictly adhered to.
- Attain a suitable knowledge of all aspects of the house services, including fire and security, electrical and plumbing systems etc.
- Be pro-active in liaising with office event coordinator staff to ensure smooth running of events by meeting prior to any events taking place
- Attend diary meetings
- Occasionally meet customers in advance of their event to show facilities, discuss and agree timings and detail
- Set up events in advance and move furniture
- Meet and greet guests on arrival, make them welcome and generally to match or exceed their expectations for customer service at Eastnor Castle
- Ensure events run according to agreed format and timings
- Respond to customer requests and deal with appropriately
- Be jointly responsible for the security and protection of the castle and its contents before, during and after events
- Be responsible for the safety of guests and other staff before, during and after events
- Feed back any customer or staff comments and observations to the Head of Operations
- Report any damage or loss in the castle to the Head of Operations
- Assist with the delivery of visitor opening events
- Ensure guests are well looked after from when they enter the venue to when they leave including, during an event and fulfilling any requirements they have, within reason
- Attain a suitable knowledge of the history of the family, castle and its contents
- At all times, to respect the needs and wishes of the family who live in the castle
- Assist with set up and break down of all visitor opening events where necessary
- General repair and maintenance around the castle, grounds and holiday cottages where necessary
- Ensure non-catering elements of the service provision are in place and take remedial action where necessary
- Ensure there is an effective handover for all castle events at end of shift
- Maintain a positive attitude both front and back of house at all times
- Monitor the contents and fixtures of the house and make necessary repairs if you have the skills required to do so
- Sleep in castle when overnight guests are staying
Event Assistant Additional Duties
- Open up/close up house including setting/un-setting alarms, open and close shutters
- Fill log and coal baskets, clean out and make up fires
- Key holder responding to fire and intruder alarm 24 hours a day
- Accept and move deliveries within the castle
- Keep Deer Park Land Rover clean, inside and out, levels checked fortnightly and fueled
- Clean out all roof gutters and drains
- Test alarms and standby generator on a weekly basis
- Monitor all light bulbs and change as necessary
- Keep all public and back of house areas clear of rubbish and redundant event furniture and equipment
- Keep courtyard and terraces free of litter, including cigarette ends. During back to back events and during the day when we are open to visitors this will be done by casual staff
- Empty dustbins in castle grounds and replace bin bags on a regular or weekly basis, as required
- Set heating and hot water for events and check room and water temperature
- Monitor heating oil levels and alert Castle Office when re-ordering is necessary
- Report any breakages or damage or missing items to Castle Manager
- To carry out minor repairs in castle where possible or inform General Manager if job card required for Works Dept.
- Help set up weddings and castle events, including moving furniture, bringing up wine and drinks from basement, moving hired in crockery and cutlery
- Help clear up weddings and castle events as above
- Help bride and groom remove personal belongings after wedding day and set up public opening – ropes, TV/DVD, signage etc.
- Help set up public events in grounds, including pop-up marquees, road signage, on-site signage, bunting, tables and chairs etc.
- Responsible for keeping all event equipment in a clean and tidy condition and ensuring that relevant storage areas are kept in a tidy and orderly fashion. To report any breakages or damage to the General Manager
- Replace ropes and re-position and plug in DVD player for public opening if moved for an event
- Act as Night Warden during shoot season and be available to serve drinks to guests etc. before locking up castle
- Help carry guest suitcases and bags to/from bedrooms, especially during shoot season
- Sleep-in the castle when guests are staying in castle, as required. Responsible for fire safety and evacuation in emergencies
Genuine enthusiasm, a keen eye for detail, an appreciation of quality and a willingness to lead from the front and to work calmly under pressure are essential. You must have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom.
A full driving licence is essential for this role.
To apply for this position, please email your CV with a covering letter to ENQUIRIES@EASTNORCASTLE.COM or post to:
The General Manager, Eastnor Castle, Eastnor, Ledbury, HR8 1RL.