Access For All Days Out
Please take a look at our Access Information and if you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch.View Our Access For All Statement
- The main visitor car park and some of the paths around the grounds are laid to gravel.
- We ask that pushchairs are left at the front door to the castle as they are not permitted inside. If you have a baby carrier on your back or a rucksack, it should be removed and carried in front of you to prevent possible damage to works of art.
- On normal open days, Blue Badge holders can park near the Front Door of the castle in the courtyard in line with our Access For All policy – please note that the courtyard is gravel.
- There are 14 steps from this level into the main ground floor state rooms ad we have an electrically-powered wheelchair stair climber to carry visitors up these steps. To use this, visitors must be able to transfer into our wheelchair which is connected to the stair climber. From there, access to all the main rooms on this floor is very easy.
- Access to the first-floor bedrooms is via a Vertical Platform Lift. We also offer an excellent DVD tour of the upstairs rooms of the castle on a TV in the Staircase Hall. Please note we are unable to operate our lift on Bank Holidays when the castle is very busy so wheelchair users may not be able to visit our upstairs rooms on these days. This procedure has been adopted following advice from the Herefordshire Fire Safety Officer who has assessed the emergency evacuation of the first floor as a significant risk on busy open days.
- The grounds are quite hilly, and although access to the Terraces overlooking the lake is possible, it is not possible to access the arboretum and lakeside which involve steep inclines.
- The Ice Cream Parlour is located in the Tea Room Yard, a short distance from the main entrance via a tarmac road.
- Our Tea Room has pushchair and wheelchair access via a path signposted off the back drive. Alternatively, we have undercover seating in the little courtyard outside, and our staff will be happy to take your food/drink order from there.
Please kindly note that on some Bank Holiday event days, we cannot offer parking in the courtyard next to the main front doors of the castle. On these occasions we offer parking in the normal visitor car park, close to the visitor entrance facility, and about 200 metres from the castle itself. Please telephone us in advance of your visit to check these details.