Working for Eastnor Castle
Please see below for details of our current positions:
GROUNDSMAN & GARDENER, EASTNOR CASTLE ENTERPRISES
Reporting to: Head Groundsman and occasionally the General Manager
Place of Work: Eastnor Castle and elsewhere on the estate as necessary.
Eastnor Castle Estate
Eastnor Castle Estate is a private estate owned and operated by the Hervey-Bathurst family. Eastnor Castle sits at the centre of the estate and is managed commercially for various types of functions and is open to visitors 50 days of the year.
Eastnor Castle is a prestigious venue, and as such, the grounds and arboretum must be maintained to an exceptionally high standard in keeping with the castle and wider estate.
Overall Job Role
Under the guidance of the Head Groundsman, the Groundsman is responsible for the gardens, grounds, landscape and arboretum within the castle walls – approximately 100 acres including the lake.
The Groundsman will also conduct gardening duties at other properties on the estate under supervision from the Head Groundsman.
Job Description Tasks
- Responsible for the care and maintenance of the castle grounds throughout the year
- Maintain and keep tidy the Woodyard Visitor Centre, Eastnor village green, the Estate Office lawn, 2 Holiday Cottages, Hillend House and other areas as directed
- To be responsible for the care and day to day cleaning and maintenance of all tools and equipment
- Report hazards, faulty equipment or any accidents to the Head Groundsman
The successful candidate should have relevant experience having previously worked as a groundsman or gardener on another estate or in a similar role. The ideal candidate should be hardworking, honest and have a hands on approach to the job. Initiative and the ability to work independently is very important as is a flexible approach.
Experience and relevant skills
Knowledge and experience
- General horticultural knowledge
- General tree surgery and chainsaw work
- Brush cutting
- Grounds maintenance
- Experience of working in a large, private, family garden
Skills and attitude
- Team player
- The ability to take the initiative
- Honest and discreet
- Hard working and a hands on approach to the role
- Chain saws
- Brush cuttings
- Tractor driving
- Gang Mowing
- Spraying – pedestrian and boom spraying
- Health and Safety
- Works well with others
- Is receptive to ideas and identifies alternative ways of working when required
- Performs to his/her best ability and leads by example.
- Looks to exceed expectations and encourages others to do the same
- Obtains advice from the right sources.
- Always considerers the best interest of the family and business
- Always will to help
Hours of Work
8.00am until 4.30pm Monday to Friday with half an hour for lunch and a 15 minute break in the morning and afternoon.
Closing date for applications
Friday 17th March 2017.
To apply for any of the positions listed please email your CV with a covering letter to ENQUIRIES@EASTNORCASTLE.COM or post to General Manager, Eastnor Castle, Eastnor, Ledbury, HR8 1RL, clearly stating which position you are applying for.