Working for Eastnor Castle
Please see below for details of our current positions:
EVENTS ASSISTANT, EASTNOR CASTLE ENTERPRISES
Reporting to: Operations Manager, Eastnor Castle
Place of Work: Eastnor Castle & Deer Park, and elsewhere on the estate as necessary.
Eastnor Castle Estate
Eastnor Castle Estate is owned and operated by the Hervey-Bathurst family. Eastnor Castle sits at the centre of the estate and is let commercially for various types of functions and is also open to visitors 50 days of the year.
Overall Job Purpose
The Event Assistant (EA) is often the main point of contact for guests staying at Eastnor Castle.
The EA needs to be a courteous and professional host for all guests staying at the castle. He/she must have the ability to make our guests feel at ease during their stay and ensure their expectations are met or exceeded. Personality is key in this role, combined with the experience to guide and instruct staff and suppliers to ensure all events run to plan and any requests or issues are dealt with swiftly and effectively. The EA must be confident in dealing with a range of guests from brides to international heads of business.
The EA must be able to work well under pressure, especially during long shifts and successive events. Attention to detail and a genuine passion to give the best customer service are essential for this role. Experience of the hospitality industry and fine dining is an advantage.
The EA will work with the Head of Operations and other staff to ensure the smooth running of all events at Eastnor to include the Castle, the Deer Park and Visitor Open Days.
- Supervise and run all aspects of functions within the castle and other locations on the estate and visitor open days as required
- Comply with statutory and company requirements for Health and Safety, Food Safety, Risk Assessment, Licensing Laws, Disability etc. and ensure all employment legislation is strictly adhered to.
- Attain a suitable knowledge of all aspects of the house services, including fire and security, electrical and plumbing systems etc.
- Be pro-active in liaising with office event coordinator staff to ensure smooth running of events by meeting prior to any events taking place
- Attend diary meetings
- Occasionally meet customers in advance of their event to show facilities, discuss and agree timings and detail
- Set up events in advance and move furniture
- Meet and greet guests on arrival, make them welcome and generally to match or exceed their expectations for customer service at Eastnor Castle
- Ensure events run according to agreed format and timings
- Respond to customer requests and deal with appropriately
- Be jointly responsible for the security and protection of the castle and its contents before, during and after events
- Be responsible for the safety of guests and other staff before, during and after events
- Feed back any customer or staff comments and observations to the Head of Operations
- Report any damage or loss in the castle to the Head of Operations
- Assist with the delivery of visitor opening events
- Ensure guests are well looked after from when they enter the venue to when they leave including, during an event and fulfilling any requirements they have, within reason
- Attain a suitable knowledge of the history of the family, castle and its contents
- At all times, to respect the needs and wishes of the family who live in the castle
- Assist with set up and break down of all visitor opening events where necessary
- General repair and maintenance around the castle, grounds and holiday cottages where necessary
- Ensure non-catering elements of the service provision are in place and take remedial action where necessary
- Ensure there is an effective handover for all castle events at end of shift
- Maintain a positive attitude both front and back of house at all times
- Monitor the contents and fixtures of the house and make necessary repairs if you have the skills required to do so
- Sleep in castle when overnight guests are staying
Event Assistant Additional Duties – these are not the responsibility of the EA but will be expected to help with these.
- Open up/close up house including setting/un-setting alarms, open and close shutters
- Fill log and coal baskets, clean out and make up fires
- Key holder responding to fire and intruder alarm 24 hours a day
- Accept and move deliveries within the castle
- Keep Deer Park Land Rover clean, inside and out, levels checked fortnightly and fueled
- Clean out all roof gutters and drains
- Test alarms and standby generator on a weekly basis
- Monitor all light bulbs and change as necessary
- Keep all public and back of house areas clear of rubbish and redundant event furniture and equipment
- Keep courtyard and terraces free of litter, including cigarette ends. During back to back events and during the day when we are open to visitors this will be done by casual staff
- Empty dustbins in castle grounds and replace bin bags on a regular or weekly basis, as required
- Set heating and hot water for events and check room and water temperature
- Monitor heating oil levels and alert Castle Office when re-ordering is necessary
- Report any breakages or damage or missing items to Castle Manager
- To carry out minor repairs in castle where possible or inform General Manager if job card required for Works Dept.
- Help set up weddings and castle events, including moving furniture, bringing up wine and drinks from basement, moving hired in crockery and cutlery
- Help clear up weddings and castle events as above
- Help bride and groom remove personal belongings after wedding day and set up public opening – ropes, TV/DVD, signage etc.
- Help set up public events in grounds, including pop-up marquees, road signage, on-site signage, bunting, tables and chairs etc.
- Responsible for keeping all event equipment in a clean and tidy condition and ensuring that relevant storage areas are kept in a tidy and orderly fashion. To report any breakages or damage to the General Manager
- Replace ropes and re-position and plug in DVD player for public opening if moved for an event
- Act as Night Warden during shoot season and be available to serve drinks to guests etc. before locking up castle
- Help carry guest suitcases and bags to/from bedrooms, especially during shoot season
- Sleep-in the castle when guests are staying in castle, as required. Responsible for fire safety and evacuation in emergencies
Genuine enthusiasm, a keen eye for detail, an appreciation of quality and a willingness to lead from the front and to work calmly under pressure are essential. You must have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom.
A full driving licence is essential for this role.
Hours of Work
Hours are flexible depending on the events taking place. Role to include working most weekends, frequent evening and late nights and some Bank Holidays. The role is full time, 45 hours per week.
Closing date for applications
Friday 24th February 2017.
PROPERTY & MAINTENANCE MANAGER / CLERK OF WORKS, EASTNOR CASTLE ESTATE COMPANY
Reporting to: General Manager, Eastnor Castle
Place of Work: The Eastnor Castle Estate
Eastnor Castle Estate
Eastnor Castle Estate is owned and operated by the Hervey-Bathurst family. The estate consists of about 5,000 acres and over 100 properties. Eastnor Castle and Deer Park sits at the centre of the estate and is let commercially for various types of functions and is also open to visitors 50 days of the year.
Overall Job Purpose
The Clerk of Works (CW) is responsible for Managing the maintenance and repair of all properties and infrastructure on the estate.
The CW has a team of five permanent Works Department staff who repair and maintain the estate properties and infrastructure. The CW must allocate the teams time based on priority and timescales and ensure all projects come in on time and within budget.
In addition to managing the Works Department staff, the CW will liaise with all contractors working on the estate. The CW is responsible for obtaining competitive quotes, overseeing contractors work and signing off completed work.
The CW will meet regularly with the Eastnor Land Agent and General Manager to discuss, plan and implement all works on the estate and plan future projects.
- Manage the repair and maintenance of all properties and infrastructure on the Eastnor Estate
- Responsible for all Health and Safety related issues – see attached appendix.
- Monitor unoccupied properties
- Plan schedule of work for Works Department and contractors
- Be on call out-of-hours to respond to emergencies on the estate
- Ensure all equipment and plant are kept in a safe and serviceable condition
- Liaise with suppliers to ensure the best price and service is obtained for all estate projects
- Be accountable for the day-to-day commercial and contractual performance of the Works Department
- Support business objectives of delivering value for money and quality in all circumstances
- Carry out assigned duties efficiently and in accordance with agreed processes and procedures including health and safety
- Comply with established commercial/procurement/ strategies
- Operate processes for the selection, appointment and management of estate contractors
- Promote commercial awareness throughout projects
- Appraise staff on an annual basis
- Work with other Estate Managers as required
- Experience of the building and related trades
- Management of a workforce
- Budgeting and cost control
- Health and Safety responsibilities – Alan Law to provide
- Up to date knowledge of current legislation relating to building control – Alan Law to supply
- Overseeing of a diverse range of contractors ensuring deadlines, quality control, health and safety and financial control are met
- Computer literate and familiar with standard software, for example, Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a positive proactive approach to the role, and will be committed to delivering customer-service excellence, with good commercial results. Genuine enthusiasm, a keen eye for detail, flexibility, an appreciation of quality and a willingness to lead from the front and to work calmly under pressure are essential. The CW must have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom.
In additional the following qualities are required:
- Well educated, ideally with relevant qualifications for the role
- Ability to manage a successful range of projects in a focused and diligent manner
- Strong budgeting and cost planning experience
- Client facing, ensuring a high standard of technical delivery
- Able to build long-term relationships with tenants, contractors and other estate staff
- Track record of working with teams and managing projects, prioritising workloads and delivering deadlines
- A team player, outgoing, flexible, enthusiastic and ambitious
- Honest, reliable and a good communicator.
Health and Safety Responsibilities:
- Ensure they implement the Estate’s Health and Safety Policy.
- Ensure that they conduct suitable and sufficient assessments of the risks presented to, and posed by the Estate’s work activities.
- With the assistance of the General Manager set health and safety objectives for his direct reports and ensure that every effort is made to achieve these objectives within a reasonable timescale.
- Undertake periodic checks to ensure that the Estate’s safe working practices and risk related control measures are being adhered to.
- Assist and advise the Estate staff in resolving health and safety issues referred to them based on prioritisation according to the degree and seriousness of the risk and potential harm.
- Stimulate interest and enthusiasm for health and safety awareness within the work activities that they are responsible for.
- Ensure that all new employees are inducted into the workplace and that they are made aware of any health and safety considerations through information and training.
- Support and assist the work of the Estate’s Health & Safety Advisor.
- Ensure that all accidents and dangerous occurrences are reported to the Estate’s management and co-operate fully with any subsequent investigation relating to such incidents.
- Where applicable ensure that all work equipment is maintained in a safe condition and that all the appropriate safety devices are fitted and maintained. Also ensure that safety procedures are observed and that the appropriate safety equipment (PPE) is worn when through risk assessment it is deemed necessary.
- Plan work so as to minimise the requirement for potentially hazardous activities such as working at height.
- Employ mechanical handling and hoisting methods wherever possible to minimise the requirement for manual handling.
- Maintain a system of good housekeeping within the areas that they are responsible for, in order to eliminate trip/slip hazards and fire risks.
- Ensure that the Estate staff are aware of the Estate’s first aid provisions and the location of the first aid box.
- Ensure that any of their direct reports receive the appropriate competence training for any plant or equipment that they may need to use in their day to day work activity.
- Do not permit any works being undertaken by contractor prior to the following documents being supplied;
– H&S Policy
– Risk Assessments
– Method Statements
– Certificates of Competence
– Evidence of Public Liability Insurance
- Ensure that all contactors providing services to the Estate receive a copy of ‘The Rules & Regulations for Contractors’ document and they return the signed acceptance Declaration.
- Ensure that all contactors prior to their work activity commencing have signed the Contractor H&S Induction
- Monitor all contractor work activity to ensure it undertaken in a safe manner, not presenting any risks to Estate employees or any other contractor working on the Estate.
Hours of Work
8.00am until 4.30pm Monday to Friday. Role to include being on call to respond to out of hours emergencies. The role is full time, 40 hours per week.
Closing date for applications
Friday 24th February 2017.
To apply for any of the positions listed please email your CV with a covering letter to ENQUIRIES@EASTNORCASTLE.COM or post to General Manager, Eastnor Castle, Eastnor, Ledbury, HR8 1RL, clearly stating which position you are applying for.